I was feeling inventive last night and I decided to combine two of my favourite flavours and create this yummmmyy Coconut & Orange Sweet Cake with Creamy Coconut Frosting. I just think that there's something cool about having a homemade cake baked for the weekend, just in case any visitors pop over during the afternoon for tea. This one is super simple to make and if you bake it on a Friday night it should keep for the rest of the weekend...
225g Butter (softened)
225g Caster Sugar
225g Self Raising Flour (sieved)
Rind of one Orange
3 tbsp Desiccated Coconut
For the Cake....
1) Preheat your oven to 180C/ 350F/ Gas Mark 4
2) Cream the butter and the sugar together in a food mixer
3) When nice and creamy, add in the eggs, one by one and continuously mix
4) Add in the Orange Rind, followed by the Flour (add a couple of spoons of flour at a time)
5) When light and fluffy, add in the coconut, one spoon at a time and continue to mix
6) Grease a cake tin of your choice (no bigger than an 8inch round) with melted butter and line the bottom part with baking paper.
7) Pour the fluffy mixture into the tin and bake for 40-45 minutes
8) Poke the cake with a heated sharp knife to ensure it is fully cooked and allow it to cool on a wire tray
|I used my heart shaped silicon cake mold|
for this cake
For the Creamy Coconut Frosting
80g Butter (softened)
200g Icing Sugar
1.5 tsp Orange Juice
4 tbsp Desiccated Coconut
1 tsp Milk
1) Cream the butter and sugar together in a food mixer
2) Add the juice and the milk along with the coconut and continue to mix until light and creamy
3) Once the cake is cool, you can spread the frosting over it (I find using a silicon spatula the easiest)
4) Sprinkle some desiccated coconut over the top for effect and enjoy!!