FOR THE CAKE MIXTURE...
225g Caster Sugar
225g Butter/ Margarine (softened)
225g Self Raising Flour (sieved)
Rind of 2 Lemons
Rind of 1 Lime
FOR THE DRIZZLE...
120g Caster Sugar
Juice of 2 Lemons (-2 tsp)
Juice of 1 Lime
FOR THE LEMON BUTTER CREAM....
200g Icing Sugar
100g Butter (softened)
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
1) Preheat your oven to 180C/ 350F/ Gas Mark 4 and line a muffin tray with 12 muffin cases
2) Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl
3) When combined and creamy, add in the eggs, one by one and continue to mix
4) Add in the sieved flour, one spoon at a time, until the mixture is light and fluffy
5) Add in the lemon and lime rind and continue to mix the fluffy mixture
6) Spoon 2-3 spoonfuls of the mixture into each muffin case and bake in the oven for 15-20 mins (you will know they're done when the tops are golden brown)
7) Leave them to cool on a wire rack while you make the drizzle...
8) For the drizzle, put the lemon juice, the lime juice and the sugar in a small pot over a low heat and stir until combined
9) When combined , turn off the heat and leave it to sit while you use a sharp knife to poke a cross shape into the top of each muffin
10) Using a spoon, pour the drizzle into the crack on top of each cupcake and watch it soak in ( this can be messy so I usually put the cupcakes on a tray or plate so the drizzle doesn't go everywhere!)
11) Then leave your cupcakes to sit and cool while you make the butter cream...
13) Add the Lemon Juice and continue to mix
14) Use a piping bag or the back of a spoon to ice each of the cupcakes and use small lemon or lime wedges for decoration