When Niall mentioned that he was planning on making these scrumptious treats I insisted on documenting his every move for Yummmmyy. I seriously couldn't wait to try them.
The aromas that filled the kitchen as he made the caramelized nuts, instantly brought me back to the streets of New York. The smell was almost identical to that of the freshly candied nuts sold by vendors on almost every street corner in the city. I did try the candied nuts while in New York, one evening on my way to the Museum of Modern Art, so I had great expectations and lucky Niallo had a lot to live up to!
You Will Need...
2 Cups of Nuts of your choice (We used a mix of almonds and peanuts)
1 and a half cups of Brown Sugar
Half cup of Honey or Golden Syrup
2 tbsp Salt
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/ 350F/ Gas Mark 5 and line a flat baking tray with greaseproof paper
2) Put all the nuts and the half cup of sugar into a pot, cover in hot water and bring to the boil
3) When boiled, drain the water and leave the nuts in the pot
4) Add the honey and half the remaining sugar and stir
5) Pour the nuts onto the baking tray and sprinkle with the remaining sugar and the salt
6) Bake for approximately 10 minutes until the nuts are golden brown
7) Leave to cool and enjoy