I didn't get a chance to bake my own mince pies last year so I promised myself I'd definitely get around to giving them a go this Christmas. I cheated a little as I didn't make my own mince from scratch, I just added to a shop bought jar or two... Sssshhhhh.... I did make my own pastry and crumble however so I you could say I didn't reaaaally cheat hehe...
FOR THE FILLING...
1 jar of shop bought mince meat
1 small handful of flaked almonds
1 handful of raisins
1 handful of sultanas
1 cup of Brandy
FOR THE PASTRY
7oz Plain flour
2 tbsp Icing sugar
3-4 tbsps Cold Water
FOR THE CRUMBLE
2 Handfuls of Plain flour
1 Handful of Brown sugar
1 Cup of Butter
2 pinches of Cinnamon or nutmeg
You will have to prepare both the mince meat and pastry the night before...
THE NIGHT BEFORE...
1) Empty the two jars of mince meat into a bowl along with the almonds, raisins, sultanas and whiskey and stir
2) Cover and leave overnight if possible.
3) In a separate bowl, combine the flour, icing sugar and margarine using your fingers, until the mixture I of a breadcrumb consistency
4) Then add in the water and again mix using your hands (be careful not to over handle the pastry)
5) When the pastry is sturdy enough, empty it onto a surface that had been sprinkled with flour and pat lightly into a rectangular shape
6) Then wrap the pastry in greaseproof paper, place on a plate and refrigerate overnight
TO ASSEMBLE THE FOLLOWING DAY...
1) Preheat your oven to 220C and grease your tray with melted butter
2) Take your pastry from the fridge and roll out
3) Cur your pastry using a pastry cutter and place into each slot in your tray
4) Put one to two spoons of mince into each depending on how full you like your pies
5) Sprinkle some of the crumble on top
6) Bake in the oven at 220C for 10mins and then for a further 15 mins at 180C until golden brown
6) Leave to cool partially on a wire tray and serve warm with fresh cream or my favourite brandy cream :)
If you'd rather ordinary mince pies to the crumbly version simply brush egg wash around the pastry on the bottom, cut out a pastry lid and press the two together . You can egg wash the top and they take the same amount of time to bake.
Dust with icing sugar and serve warm with cream.