6oz Self Raising Flour (sieved)
6oz Caster Sugar
6 Large Eggs / 7 medium sized
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 tsp Baking Powder (sieved)
1) Preheat your oven to 190C/ 375F/ Gas Mark 5, and grease two 8 inch round baking tins with melted butter.
2) Cream the butter and eggs together using an electric mixer until the mixture has almost doubled in volume.
3) When the mixture is light and fluffy (be patient, this could take a while), add in the vanilla essence followed by half of the sieved flour and baking powder and continue to beat. - the mixture should be quite airy.
4) Turn off the beater, and, using a metal spoon, fold the the remaining flour. (this allows lots of tiny air pockets to form)
5) Divide the mixture evenly amongst your two baking tins and bake in the oven for 20-25 mins. (the cakes should be firm and golden brown when cooked)
6) Allow the cakes to cool on a wire rack and then prepare them for filling by slices any risen bumps in the centre off to make them flat.
For the filling, I used fresh cream, raspberry jam and a few fresh raspberries. You can use any fillings of your choice - buttercream instead of fresh cream, strawberry jam, Nutella, whatever you like really :)
I also dusted the top of my sponge with icing sugar but berries or chocolate can also be used as delicious toppings :)
I had a little helper during the week; my godson Josh whose favourite job was definitely licking the beaters :)