This soda bread recipe is really easy to make. Its the base recipe to almost any bread that I bake. I decided to add Flax Seeds to the recipe this time to give the bread a nice grainy texture and also to boost nutrient intake. Apparently flax seeds are one of the biggest nutrient carriers in the world - that's what we like to hear :) If you don't have flax seeds at home don't worry. You can substitute them for sunflower seeds, sesame seeds or even porridge oats.
225g/ 8oz Plain Flour
225g/ 8oz Wholemeal Flour
1 tsp Bread Soda (sieved)
1 tsp Sugar
Pinch of Salt
4 tbsp Flax Seeds
1) Preheat your oven to 180C/ 350F/ Gas Mark 4
2) Mix all of your dry ingredients together in a large bowl (make sure to sieve the bread soda)
3) Make a hole in the middle of your bowl and pour in the buttermilk
4) Stir in the buttermilk
(The mixture should almost "plop" off the spoon - if it's too dry simply add more milk and if its too wet add more flour)
6) After 40 mins, remove the loaf from the tin and stick it back in the oven for a further 10 mins
7) Leave to cool on a wire tray before slicing & enjoy!!
I love this bread with real Irish butter and raspberry jam in the morning, or else with nothing but thick slices of cheddar cheese for lunch - YUMMMMYY :)